Hydraulic cylinders play a key role in the functioning of industrial equipment and operate in a variety of applications and different conditions. The hydraulic cylinders are protected from dust and weather conditions with the help of wiper seals. Wiper seals for Hydraulic Cylinder also known as scraper seals are fitted on the external side of the head of the cylinder and provide a sealing contact to the piston rod.
Wiper seals scrape dirt, chips or moisture from the piston rods as they retract into the system. They also prevent moisture and fluid from entering into the cylinder. Generally used in hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders, wiper seals are also used in telescopic suspension forks of motorcycles.
Wiper seals are available in different types based on the material used such as polyurethane wiper seal, polyester wiper seal and metallic wiper seals. Before choosing a wiper seal, it is necessary to consider the following points. Wiper seals are subjected to strong charges even if they don’t work with pressure. Metal wiper seals are found to be more resistant than flexible wipers. Metal wiper seals provide the perfect attachment to the system generally in opened or semi-opened housings. It is important to find and choose the right kind of wiper seal which not only provides accurate closure to the cylinder but also protects against dirt and dust. Wiper seal suppliers offer a wide range of wiper seals based on the needs of the customer.
- The environment at which the equipment is used: The pressure at which the equipment works and the internal, as well as working environment conditions of the system using the seal, determines the type of seal to be used.
- The material used in the manufacture of the seal: The type of material used to manufacture the seal is important to choose the type of seal.
- The purpose of the seal: Based on the purpose or the industry in which the seal is intended to be used, the type of sale varies.
- Acceptable friction losses: Based on the type of frictional losses that occur in the system, the type of seal varies depending upon its tolerability.
- The necessity for energisation: Certain seals need to be energized with rings such as O-ring.
- Temperature conditions of the equipment: Each type of seal has a different temperature range in which they work.
- The flexibility of the seal: Based on the position and working rotation of the cylinder, the extent of flexibility of the seal varies.
- The durability of the seal: Although wiper seals last long, each type of seal has a specific duration of lasting. PU soft wiper seals last longer.
Wiper seals are used in a variety of industrial applications such as:
- Automotive plants
- Lift trucks
- Hydraulic Presses
- Earth moving machinery
- Chemical pumps
- Cement industry
- Food processing
- Construction equipment
- Marine equipment
- Package filling machines
- Rubber and Plastic
- Production of tires
- Drilling equipment
- Manufacture of paints and solvents
- Heavy equipment
- Oil and Petrochemical industry
- Paper, Pulp and Packaging industry